Service Writer, Heavy Duty Truck & Trailer
Fleet Brake Parts and Service is one of North America’s fastest growing and largest independent distributors and marketers of heavy duty parts and service. We have 14 locations spread from British Columbia to the Atlantic and have a proven track record. Our organization is powered by effective leadership, progressive strategies and industry-leading best practices. More importantly Fleet Brake is driven by talented, customer-focused people who value strong work ethics, innovation and quality.
We are currently looking for an experienced, ambitious and self-driven SERVICE WRITER who puts quality and customers first. Being a team player and working with others will be the key to your success with Fleet Brake.
Please note: Remuneration dependent on experience
Reports to: Service Manager
1. Service Writing & Parts
· Document mechanical problems and services by listening to customer’s description of symptoms; clarifying description of problems; conducting visual inspections; checking vehicle maintenance records; examining service schedules
· Develop estimates by costing materials, supplies, and labor; calculating customer’s payment including deductibles
· Prepare repair orders (RO) by describing symptoms, problems, and causes discovered, as well as repairs and services required; obtaining approval signatures.
i. Have customer sign RO which details phone numbers, contacts, unit info, safety concerns, finish times, customer requests, ROI must be signed
ii. Update repair orders - jobs, comments, details, mechanic notes, unit info, parts history details
iii. Finish repair orders - comments, details, mechanic notes, labor adjustments, CVIP paperwork
· Pre-order and pull parts for repair jobs in shop & outside waiting before being required if possible. Help techs out in shop don’t wait for them to walk up to the counter
· Return cores and /or wrong parts within 24 hrs.
· Bill parts to repair orders (inventory) as soon as taken out to the shop including the parts taken sheets
· Bill parts to repair orders (non -inventory) as soon as they come into the building
· Repair order billing (Shop, Goliath, Service Trucks)-within 24 hrs. maximum
· Issue computer generated purchase orders for all non- inventory parts, check outstanding purchase orders weekly. Follow up on outstanding orders with vendors
· Finish billing repair orders within 24 hrs. of completion at the latest
3. Follow Up
· Communicate with customers regarding updates, special order parts, delays, extra costs, completion dates. Customers must be advised within 1hr of units being completed-document in customer log book
· Document all updates, special order parts and communications on repair orders and in service department log book
· Communicate with parts dept. for parts pick up-document as required
· Communicate with service parts driver for parts pick up when available
· Communicate with service team (including foremen and management)
· Communicate with team members before leaving your shift
4. Customer Service
· Resolve customer complaints within 24 hrs. Escalated complaints are to be submitted to manager with supporting documentation immediately
· Process emailed requests; forward (cc) to team for group communication.
· Answer phone calls quickly, book repair work with appropriate info (check with foremen/manager if unsure), and help customers with informed answers & forward calls to appropriate personnel for technical questions
· Acknowledge & help customers at the service counter immediately
· Acknowledge & help mechanics at the back counter including service truck techs
· Maintain one person in service department at all time. (Foreman/Manager not included)
· Help parts department with calls when required
· Change shifts to cover employee vacation as required
5. Health & Safety
· Follow published company policy & safety manual
· Maintain a clean and well organized service department
· Wear appropriate PPE in shop area. Accompany customers in shop with mandatory PPE (no customers allowed in the shop area without an escort)
· Report deficiencies in shop, service dept. and service vehicles in writing to foremen/manager
· Do not operate any equipment that you are not trained for
· Conduct weekly shop consumable check / order (welding & shop supply)
· Conduct weekly shop inventory check / order (bulk oils, coolant, ATF, hardware)
· Any other duties assigned by the supervisor not far outside your expertise and training.
Fleet Brake offers: competitive wages, a comprehensive benefits plan, matched RSP contributions and a great place to work
PLEASE NOTE: Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
As part of keeping our staff and customers safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, all our frontline staff are required to wear masks and have been provided clear plastic barriers, gloves and Hand sanitizer.